Most business houses appreciate the power of social media and its potential to promote their brand image and boost sales. But many of them find social media rather overwhelming and unaware how to evolve the right social media marketing strategies.
Here are five easy steps to create a cohesive and rewarding social media marketing plan.
- Before taking advantage of the social media network, clearly define your objectives and business goals. Through social media participation, you can spread brand awareness, render improved customer service and more importantly generate leads. Your set objectives will keep you on track to accomplish your goals. Also, make sure your objectives fare measurable so that you can constantly monitor your progress and re-assess your strategy at regular intervals and apply necessary correctives.
- You have to correctly identify your target audience if your SMM efforts are to succeed. It is suggested you create a profile of your target audience containing demographic information and all other relevant factors, such as location, profession, or interests.
- Target the right social media platforms. Choosing the most appropriate social media platforms for your nature of your business is the critically important step. With a proliferation of social media networks, selecting and using them all regularly can be daunting. Remember that a person that chases too many hares catches none. As a start, you can concentrate on some of the major sites – Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Google+ and YouTube.
- Create a practical and pragmatic social media calendar. But remember that the calendar is not merely for content creation. No doubt social media marketing calls for great content but an editorial calendar is also, needed for you to define themes, identify marketing channels for the content and reach your target audience in a result-oriented fashion. Your editorial calendar will act as a guide to define what content to create, where to share specific pieces of content and how much time to devote to each social platform. Of course, you should use a variety of content formats – blog posts, case studies, e-books, images, and videos.
- Your next task is to define your Unique Selling Proposition (USP). Needless to say, your USP is the crucial feature or set of features that sets your company apart from others in similar businesses. Make sure your USP is relevant to your target audience and in conformity with your social media objectives. Create a list of keywords and key phrases and topics and build your social media strategy around them.